Plenary Session at the ASLEC-ANZ Conference Ngā tohu o te huarere: Conversations Beyond Human Scales
With Jennifer Hamilton, James Gardiner, Astrida Neimanis, Hayley Singer, Mindy Blaise, Rachel Fetherston & Millie Riddell
Tuesday Nov 23, 4:00-6:00pm (NZDST GMT+13)
REGISTER HERE FOR THE ASLEC-ANZ CONFERENCE ‘Beyond Human Scales’
Reading Groups are great ways of meeting colleagues and reading more, but how do they materially build scholarly fields and contribute to our individual and collaborative research? Moreover, how do they reshape how we go about research itself in a time of climate change? In this plenary session the convenors of four reading groups – COMPOSTING Feminisms, The Ediths, Ecofeminist Fridays and the Beyond Human Scales Reading Group – will reflect on the scholarly work of their respective reading groups. We will also invite participants in the conference to share in a collective reading session.
READING GROUP AS METHOD is a collaborative research project learning how environmental feminist reading groups shape research practices in our field, using the experiences of COMPOSTING Feminisms, The Ediths and EcoFeminist Fridays as generative case studies. The research project is supported by James Gardiner, a PhD Candidate in Gender and Cultural Studies at University of Sydney whose doctoral research explores queer youth reading and writing groups.
- Liliana Clarke & Pauline Harris (2017). ‘Maramataka’ in Hemi Whaanga, Te Taka Keegan & Mark Apperly (eds) He Whare Hangarau Māori — Language, culture & technology: 129-135
- Mountz et. al. (2015). ‘For Slow Scholarship: A Feminist Politics of Resistance through Collective Action in the Neoliberal University’ ACME: An International E-Journal for Critical Geographies, 14.4: 1235 – 1259
- Ahmed, Sara. (2017). ‘A Killjoy Survival Kit’ from Living a Feminist Life. Durham: Duke UP: 235-249
- Laura McLachlan. (2018) ‘Lively Collaborations: Feminist Reading Group Erotics for Livable Futures’ Transformations: The Journal of Inclusive Scholarship and Pedagogy 28.1: 86-95
- Feminist Duration Reading Group Podcast: Nothing Worthwhile is Done Alone: On Friendship and Feminist Organising*
Feature Image: Jen Hamilton snap from ‘COMPOSTING #14 Theory in the Mud’ Walkshop: https://compostingfeminisms.wordpress.com/2016/12/16/composting-14-theory-in-the-mud-walkshop/